Unless otherwise excluded pursuant to this Student Handbook, a student may participate in commencement if the student:

  1. Has completed all degree requirements and will have a degree conferred between 11/30 thru 5/31 of the academic year;
  2. Scheduled for an 11/30 graduation date for the following commencement year but will complete all clinical clerkships and has a sitting date(s) for USMLE Step 2 CK and/or CS prior to 6/30 of the current academic year;
  3. Did not participate in commencement for the academic year their degree was conferred but successfully matched into a residency program in the current academic year.

Ross University School of Medicine faculty officials selected by the Dean to participate in the RUSM Commencement ceremony hood all graduates. Guest hooders are not permitted.

Special Graduation Date Request Policy

A Special Graduation Date (SGD) may be approved for one of the following reasons:

  1. You are an International citizen and are required to take USMLE Step 3 to obtain a working Visa. Your International citizenship will be verified.
  1. If you are applying for California licensing, you must supply proof that the program for which you wish to interview will not offer an interview without the Post-Graduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) issued, otherwise your expected graduation date will allow sufficient time to obtain the PTAL for purposes of the National Resident Matching Program® (The MATCH℠.)
    1. You have received a residency position or other employment, which is scheduled to begin at least one month before your scheduled graduation date. You must submit a copy of a signed contract with your request for approval.

To apply for a SGD, submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar via myRoss at least 60 days prior to the date you are requesting. You will be notified via email if you are approved. The request must include the following:

  1. The reason for your request
  2. The anticipated date you will complete all graduation requirements;
  3. All supporting documents;
    1. Student must provide supporting documentation of California Licensure application or residency/employment acceptance