Financial Aid, Student Loan Deferment, Tuition Payment and Refunds

Financial Aid

Students attending RUSM may be eligible to apply for student loans to meet their direct and indirect educational expenses. Students attending clinical clerkships must review the “Financial Aid during Clinical Sciences” document for additional information about financial aid eligibility and disbursements. Please see:

At RUSM, we know that tuition and loans are an important aspect of our students’ education. We are committed to providing clear information to facilitate our students’ financial responsibility. In this section of the Student Handbook, we’ll describe possibilities for student loan deferment while you study. We’ll also provide information about eligibility, how to pay your tuition and receive tuition refunds during withdrawals and AAs.

Student Loan Deferment

If you have previously received student loans at other institutions, you may wish to defer repayment while matriculated at RUSM. RUSM provides enrollment data to the National Student Clearinghouse which will be accessible to your loan lenders. There are certain cases (i.e., private loans) where you may need to complete a form from your lender and obtain a verification of enrollment from RUSM. The enrollment verification letter is available at the myRoss website, and should be mailed to your lender with the deferment form.

Please be advised that loans cannot be deferred during curriculum gap periods of more than 31 calendar days. This includes gaps due to studying for, sitting for, and waiting for passing results for the USMLE.

Tuition During Remedial Semesters

Full-time tuition is charged for students who are registered full-time (nine or more credits). Students must pay full-time tuition even if they are repeating courses.

Any student wishing to retake a failed course is required to repeat all courses/blocks in the semester. Students who are allowed to repeat coursework must also enroll in the ELLS remedial course. Upon successfully completing all courses with passing grades, students may progress to the next semester.

Tuition Refund Policy for Withdrawals and Approved Absences

Tuition policies are administered in accordance with federal guidelines.

A withdrawal occurs when a student’s enrollment is permanently discontinued or, in some cases, even temporarily interrupted (see below for further information on AA). An official withdrawal occurs when the student notifies the Associate Dean of Student Affairs or their designee and the Office of the Registrar in writing; an unofficial withdrawal occurs when the student does not give written notification. For financial aid and tuition purposes an AA is treated as a temporary withdrawal.

The effective date of withdrawal is normally the student’s last academically related event. When a student withdraws, RUSM assesses tuition based on the period he or she attended, and in correspondence with federal loan entitlement regulations. These are as follows:

Tuition Policy During Approved Absences and Temporary Withdrawn

An AA may be authorized in limited circumstances (see Absences, Withdrawals and Deferrals section). For financial aid purposes and tuition adjustments, an AA is considered the same as a temporary withdrawal. Requesting and receiving an AA will have an impact on your obligation to repay tuition and student loans. For purposes of student loan deferment, an AA is the same as a withdrawal, and loans will go into repayment status as of the last academically related event.

A student who begins an AA during a semester and sets a return date at the beginning of the next semester will be reported as “not enrolled” to all lenders. However, the student is not required to reapply for admission to RUSM following such an AA.

Once a student is placed in a TW status, they are reported to the Clearinghouse, which then reports to National Student Load Data System (NSLDS), as withdrawn. Students are advised to contact their lenders directly to discuss their repayment status and what other options may be available, including: 1) a grace period; 2) deferment or 3) forbearance request. These options, if available, may allow a student to postpone payments while in a TW status.